hello,

thank you for the reply.

yes - i did re-index after the changes to the schema.

also - thank you for the direction on using the analyzer - but i am not sure
if i am interpreting the feedback from the analyzer correctly.

here is what i did:

in the Field value (Index) box - i placed this: BP2.1UAA

in the Field value (Query) box - i placed this: BP21UAA

then after hitting the Analyze button - i see the following:

Under Index Analyzer for:

org.apache.solr.analysis.WordDelimiterFilterFactory {splitOnCaseChange=1,
generateNumberParts=1, catenateWords=1, luceneMatchVersion=LUCENE_33,
generateWordParts=1, catenateAll=1, catenateNumbers=1}

i see

position        1       2       3       4
term text       BP      2       1       UAA
21      BP21UAA

Under Query Analyzer for:

org.apache.solr.analysis.WordDelimiterFilterFactory {splitOnCaseChange=1,
generateNumberParts=1, catenateWords=1, luceneMatchVersion=LUCENE_33,
generateWordParts=1, catenateAll=1, catenateNumbers=1}

i see

position        1       2       3
term text       BP      21      UAA
BP21UAA

the above information leads me to believe that i "should" have BP21UAA as an
indexed term generated from the BP2.1UAA value coming from the database.

also - the query analysis lead me to believe that i "should" find a document
when i search on BP21UAA in the itemNo field

do i have this correct????

am i missing something here?

i am still unable to get a hit when i search on BP21UAA in the itemNo field.

thank you,
mark