I'm trying, but so far I don't see anything. I'll have to try and mimic your
setup closer it seems.

I tried starting up 6 solr instances on different ports as 2 shards, each with
a replication factor of 3.

Then I indexed 20k documents to the cluster and verified doc counts.

Then I shutdown all the replicas so that only one instance served each shard.

Then I indexed 20k documents to the cluster.

Then I started the downed nodes and verified that they where in a recovery
state.

After enough time went by I checked and verified document counts on each
instance - they where as expected.

I guess next I can try a similar experiment using multiple cores, but if you
notice anything that stands out that is largely different in what you are
doing, let me know.

The cores that are behind, does it say they are down, recovering, or active in
zookeeper?

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com