On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com> wrote:
> One way to speed up numeric range queries (at the cost of increased
> index size) is to lower the precisionStep.  You could try changing
> this from 8 to 4 and then re-indexing to see how that affects your
> query speed.

Your issue, and the fact that I had been looking at the post-filtering
code again for another client, reminded me that I had been planning on
implementing post-filtering for spatial.  It's now checked into trunk.

If you have the ability to use trunk, you can add a high cost (like
cost=200) along with cache=false to trigger it.

More details here:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/blog/2012/02/10/advanced-filter-caching-in-solr/

-Yonik
lucidimagination.com