I don't see any errors in the log.  here are the following scripts I'm
running, and to create the cores I run the following commands

curl
'http://localhost:8501/solr/admin/cores?action=CREATE&name=slice1_shard1&collection=collection1&shard=slice1&collection.configName=config1'
curl
'http://localhost:8501/solr/admin/cores?action=CREATE&name=slice2_shard2&collection=collection1&shard=slice2&collection.configName=config1'
curl
'http://localhost:8502/solr/admin/cores?action=CREATE&name=slice2_shard1&collection=collection1&shard=slice2&collection.configName=config1'
curl
'http://localhost:8502/solr/admin/cores?action=CREATE&name=slice1_shard2&collection=collection1&shard=slice1&collection.configName=config1'

after doing this the nodes are immediately marked as down in
clusterstate.json.  Restating the solr instances I see that which ever
I start first shows up as active, and the other is down.  There are no
errors in the logs either.

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM, Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, that is what I would expect - for a node to be marked as down, it
> either didn't finish starting, or it gave up recovering...either case should
> be logged. You might try searching for the recover keyword and see if there
> are any interesting bits around that.
>
> Meanwhile, I have dug up a couple issues around recovery and committed fixes
> to trunk - still playing around...
>
> On Feb 11, 2012, at 8:44 PM, Jamie Johnson wrote:
>
>> I didn't see anything in the logs, would it be an error?

>>> If recovery fails X times (say because the leader can't be reached from the
>>> replica), a node is marked as down. It can't be active, and technically it
>>> has stopped trying to recover (it tries X times and eventually give up
>>> until you restart it).
>>>
>>> Side note, I recently ran into this issue: SOLR-3122 - fix coming soon. Not
>>> sure if you have looked at your logs or not, but perhaps it's involved.
>>>
>>> - Mark Miller
>>> lucidimagination.com

> - Mark Miller
> lucidimagination.com

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<solr persistent="true">
  <cores adminPath="/admin/cores" zkClientTimeout="10000" hostPort="8501" hostContext="solr">
  </cores>
</solr>