Hello all:

We've done some tests with Em's approach of putting a BooleanQuery in front
of our user query, that means:

BooleanQuery
    must (DismaxQuery)
    should (FunctionQuery)

The FunctionQuery obtains the SOLR IR score by means of a QueryValueSource,
then does the SQRT of this value, and then multiplies it by our custom
"query_score" float, pulling it by means of a FieldCacheSource.

In particular, we've proceeded in the following way:

   - we've loaded the whole index in the page cache of the OS to make sure
   we don't have disk IO problems that might affect the benchmarks (our
   machine has enough memory to load all the index in RAM)
   - we've executed an out-of-benchmark query 10-20 times to make sure that
   everything is jitted and that Lucene's FieldCache is properly populated.
   - we've disabled all the caches (filter query cache, document cache,
   query cache)
   - we've executed 8 different user queries with and without
   FunctionQueries, with early termination in both cases (our collector stops
   after collecting 50 documents per shard)

Em was correct, the query is much faster with the BooleanQuery in front,
but it's still 30-40% slower than the query without FunctionQueries.

Although one may think that it's reasonable that the query response time
increases because of the extra computations, we believe that the increase
is too big, given that we're collecting just 500-600 documents due to the
early query termination techniques we currently use.

Any ideas on how to make it faster?.

Thanks a lot,
Carlos

Carlos Gonzalez-Cadenas
CEO, ExperienceOn - New generation search
http://www.experienceon.com

Mobile: +34 652 911 201
Skype: carlosgonzalezcadenas
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/carlosgonzalezcadenas