I would say do both. If you have the capacity create a core for each and
one that combines it and do some tests.
There are pros and cons to both approaches. If you ever need joins in RDBMS
terms then you probably want one index.
If not then one index might still be a lot easier.
The only real reason to start splitting is if you hit resource constraints,
memory etc.
And then multiple cores won't necessarily solve the problems either.
Build one big index and see how it performs.

--
Willem Basson