You end up with one multivalued field, which means that you can only
have one analyzer chain.
<<

actually two of the three fields being considered for combination in to a
single field ARE multivalued fields.

would this be an issue?

  With separate fields, each field can be
analyzed differently.  Also, if you are indexing and/or storing the
individual fields, you may have data duplication in your index, making
it larger and increasing your disk/RAM requirements.
<<

this makes sense

  That field will
have a higher termcount than the individual fields, which means that
searches against it will naturally be just a little bit slower.
<<

ok

  Your
application will not have to do as much work to construct a query, though.
<<

actually this is the primary reason this came up.

If you are already planning to use dismax/edismax, then you don't need
the overhead of a copyField.  You can simply provide access to (e)dismax
search with the qf (and possibly pf) parameters predefined, or your
application can provide these parameters.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ExtendedDisMax
<<

can you elaborate on this and how EDisMax would preclude the need for
copyfield?

i am using extended dismax now in my response handlers.

here is an example of one of my requestHandlers

  <requestHandler name="partItemNoSearch" class="solr.SearchHandler"
default="false">
    <lst name="defaults">
      <str name="defType">edismax</str>
      <str name="echoParams">all</str>
      <int name="rows">5</int>
      <str name="qf">itemNo^1.0</str>
      <str name="q.alt">*:*</str>
    </lst>
    <lst name="appends">
      <str name="fq">itemType:1</str>
      <str name="sort">rankNo asc, score desc</str>
    </lst>
    <lst name="invariants">
      <str name="facet">false</str>
    </lst>