One of big weaknesses of Solr Cloud (and ES?) is the lack of the
ability to redistribute shards across servers.  Meaning, as a single
shard grows too large, splitting the shard, while live updates.

How do you plan on elastically adding more servers without this feature?

Cassandra and HBase handle elasticity in their own ways.  Cassandra
has successfully implemented the Dynamo model and HBase uses the
traditional BigTable 'split'.  Both systems are complex though are at
a singular level of maturity.

Also Cassandra [successfully] implements multiple data center support,
is that available in SC or ES?