Hey everyone,

I field documents by "title" and "body". The title field often has far fewer
terms than the body field. IDF, as a result, will have a profound effect in
the title field compared to the body field.

I currently have the title field boosted by 4x relative to the body field.
While I want matches in the title field to result in higher scores than
matches in the body field, I don't believe I want the title to completely
trump the body. I've seen this happen when a rare term is present in the
title field, and IDF combines with the 4x boost to wreak havoc.

I'd like to get your thoughts on the following:

- Is it standard practice to avoid boosting the title field much, because of
the (generally) high IDF of title field terms?
- Are there other strategies for handling the high IDF of a title field?

Thanks!