Your first and biggest problem will be to define "good"
result ordering. You have some anecdotal statements
that amount to something like "sometimes I don't like
the results". But unless you can quantify this, you'll spend a
LOT of time going tweaking the results ordering and then
going back and re-tweaking based on another result....

But to your point. the 4x boosting is actually rather high. You
might be able to get better results by boosting by significantly
smaller values, say 1.5 or something.

But under any circumstances, _some_ searches will not be
satisfactory, I guess it's up to you to figure out what's
about "the best you can do"... Wish I had better answers, but
judgement calls are like that <G>..

Best
Erick