Solr will not keep the structure of your XML data. Solr and Lucene have a flat
data model. You can map hierarchy into that, but it can be a lot of work.

I recommend starting with a dedicated XML database. MarkLogic is commercial,
but they have added a free developer license that can be used for some
production (see limitations here: http://community.marklogic.com/express).

I would say to use "an XML database", but there really is no other
production-ready XML database. eXist is nice, but it can be 100X slower than
MarkLogic.

I used to work at MarkLogic and I've implemented Solr at two major web
companies. If you really want to work in XML, you'll be a lot happier with
MarkLogic.

wunder