On May 5, 2012, at 8:39 AM, Jan Høydahl wrote:

> ZK is not really designed for keeping large data files,
> fromhttp://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/current/zookeeperProgrammers.html#Data+Access:
>> ZooKeeper was not designed to be a general database or large object
>> store.....If large data storage is needed, the usually pattern of dealing
>> with such data is to store it on a bulk storage system, such as NFS or HDFS,
>> and store pointers to the storage locations in ZooKeeper.

I don't really think it's that big a deal where Solr is concerned. We don't use
ZooKeeper intensively. Only for state changes, and initially loading config for
SolrCore starts or reloads. ZooKeeper perf should not be a big deal for Solr. I
think the main issue is going to be that zk wants everything in ram - but
again, a few, couple MB conf files should be no big deal AFAICT.

Other large scale applications that constantly and intensively use zookeeper
are a different story - when Solr is in its running state, it doesnt do
anything with zookeeper other than maintain it's heartbeat.

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com