The highlighting will be based only on the fields in which matching occurred. Are you using edismax and with multiple fields in qf, or the traditional Solr (Lucene) query parser that only matches in the default field or an explicit field?

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message----- From: TJ Tong
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2012 4:44 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Urgent! Highlighting not working as expected

Dear all,

I queried Solr (3.5) with this: q=text:"G-Money"&hl=true&hl.fl=*, where text
is a "text" field and all the other fields were copied to it. I got three
records returned, however, only one field (also "text" field) was
highlighted:
<lst name="highlighting">
<lst name="cr_149107">
<arr name="cr_name">
</arr>
</lst>
<lst name="cr_740953"/>
<lst name="cr_1055847"/>
</lst>

But the other two also have matched fields (that is why they are returned),
but they are "string" field, they were not highlighted. Also, in the same
record "cr_149107", the "string" field "cr_firstname" has exactly matched
string "G-Money", but it was not highlighted. But if I search on this field:
q=cr_firstname:"G-Money"&hl=true&hl.fl=*, it will be highlighted. Any idea
what shall I do to let both "text" and "string" fields highlighted?

Thanks in advance!