I'm not sure about your approach, turning off most of the features
which produce a similarity measure in a vsm and then wanting to sort
by a similarity could lead to pain. (I don't know your usecase so this
could still be valid)

One approach to, (well what I think your usecase might be...) is to
use ngrams. see this article here
http://www.lucidimagination.com/blog/2009/09/08/auto-suggest-from-popular-queries-using-edgengrams/

cheers Lee C