It's a similar approach as using SQL to filter the rows brought back
for a particular user from a table. It's strong as long as you write
your queries correctly, you store your data properly, and you guard
against injection and privilege escalation. There's an added bonus in
this case in that the user's submitted text isn't in the same query as
the part that limits the rows they have access to, but if you're doing
proper escaping of the query text, that shouldn't be relied on anyway.

Michael Della Bitta

Appinions, Inc. -- Where Influence Isn’t a Game.
http://www.appinions.com