Final comment from me then Ill let someone else speak.

The solution we seem to be looking at is send a GET request to SOLR and then
send back a renderized page, so we are basically creating the results page
on the server rather than the client side.

I would really like to hear what people have to say about this. Is this a
good idea? Are there any major disadvantages?

It seems like the only way to go to have a reliable search site which works
without Javascript.