I and another user recently posted about this exact same issue.  It sounds
like maybe this is a new bug introduced in 3.6:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-solr-user/201206.mbox/%3CCAMKKMTx_ybPqsbgU5NtQ19t%2B0kWdAHtq-CZTZxfYxdu6rS1u1g%40mail.gmail.com%3E

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-solr-user/201206.mbox/%3CCAMySt%2BE6Hr6%3DgOkkDeZU9PCTpgJ4Mb1i8YrzfAndfqUzdot8xw%40mail.gmail.com%3E

I've managed to figure out a fix that is working well enough for my own
application right now.  I set autoGeneratePhraseQueries to "true" on my
field, and also set qs=20000.  The high query slop value simulates the AND
behavior that I want since my documents are relatively short, but this is
obviously not the correct solution, and I don't know if there are any
performance issues with using really high query slop values.