5 min is ridiculously long for a query that used to take 65ms. That ought
to be a great clue. The only two things I've seen that could cause that
are thrashing, or GC. Hard to see how it could be thrashing, given your
hardware, so I'd initially suspect GC.

Aim VisualVM at the JVM. It shows how much CPU goes to GC over time, in a
nice blue line. And if it's not GC, try out its Sampler tab, and see where
the CPU is spending its time.

FWIW, when asked at what point one would want to split JVMs and shard, on
the same machine, Grant Ingersoll mentioned 16GB, and precisely for GC
cost reasons. You're way above that. Maybe multiple JVMs and sharding,
even on the same machine, would serve you better than a monster 70GB JVM.

-- Bryan