bq: This index is only used for searching and being replicated every 7 sec from
the master.

This is a red-flag. 7 second replication times are likely forcing your
app to spend
all its time opening new searchers. Your cached filter queries are
likely rarely being re-used
because they're being thrown away every 7 seconds. This assumes you're
changing your master index frequently.

If you need near real time, consider Solr trunk and SolrCloud, but
trying to simulate
NRT with very short replication intervals is usually a bad idea.

A quick test would be to disable replication for a bit (or lengthen it
to, say, 10 minutes)

Best
Erick