I get a similar situation using Windows 2008 and Solr 3.6. Memory using mmap is
never released. Even if I turn off traffic and commit and do a manual gc. If
the size of the index is 3gb then memory used will be heap + 3gb of shared
used. If I use a 6gb index I get heap + 6gb. If I turn off MMapDirectoryFactory
it goes back down. When is the MMap supposed to release memory ? It only does
it on JVM restart now.

Bill Bell
Sent from mobile