Erick,

I think that should be described differently...
You need to set-up protected access for some paths.
/update is one of them.
And you could make this protected at the jetty level or using Apache proxies
and rewrites.

Probably /select should be kept open but you need to evaluate if that can get
you in DoS attacks if there are too big selects. If that is the case, you're
left to programme an interface all by yourself which limits and fetches from
solr, or which lives inside solr (a query component) and throws if things are
too big.

paul