That is the problem with a jvm, it is a virtual machine.
Ask 10 experts about a good jvm settings and you get 15 answers. May be a
tradeoff
of the flexibility of jvm's. There is always a right setting for any application
running on a jvm but you just have to find it.
How about a Solr Wiki page about JVM settings for Solr?
The good, the bad and the ugly?
With a very short describtion why to set it (or not) and what it will affect?

By the way while looking for upgrading to JDK7, the release notes say under
section
"known issues" about the "PorterStemmer" bug:
"...The recommended workaround is to specify -XX:-UseLoopPredicate on the
command line."
Is this still not fixed, or won't fix?
So this could be a candidate for an entry about JVM settings on the wiki page.

Regards
Bernd