I used GC in different situations and tried back and forth.
Yes, it reduces the used heap memory, but not by 5GB.
Even so that GC from jconsole (or jvisualvm) is "Full GC".

But while you bring GC into this, there is another interesting thing.
- I have one slave running for a week which ends up around 18 to 20GB of heap
memory.
- the slave goes offline for replication (no user queries on this slave)
- the slave gets replicated and starts a new searcher
- the heap memory of the slave is still around 11 to 12GB
- then I initiate a Full GC from jconsole which brings it down to about 8GB
- then I call optimize (on a optimized index) and it then drops to 6.5GB like a
fresh started system

I have already looked through Uwe's blog but he says "...As a rule of thumb:
Don’t use more
than 1/4 of your physical memory as heap space for Java running Lucene/Solr,..."
That would be on my server 8GB for JVM heap, can't believe that the system
will run for longer than 10 minutes with 8GB heap.

Next tests will be with all autowarm off. This is for the FullGC/optimize
problem after replication.
But for the 5GB jump I have no idea. May be changing the cache sizes?

Regards
Bernd