Do note that you _can_ join across cores. BUT the join
capability is a fairly restricted use-case. And even if it was
performant, it's not like a DB join, you can only return info
from a single kind of doc. That is, if you were joining between
customer documents and vendor documents, you could only
get info back from _either_ the customer doc _or_ the
vendor doc. There's nothing like what you automatically think
about in DB terms where you return data from both types of
docs.

And just to confuse matters further, you can do joins within the
same core with different types of documents.

But I'd try denormalizing first.

FWIW,
Erick