You really should be careful about optimizes, they're generally not needed.
And optimizing is almost always wrong when done after every N documents in
a batch process. Do it at the very end or not at all. optimize essentially
re-writes the entire index into a single segment, so you're copying around
a lot of data.

And the operations that get done during optimize, which are mainly purging
information associated with deleted documents, gets done anyway upon
segment merging. Despite it's name, optimize usually has marginal effect,
if any, on search speed.

Or did you mean commit?

FWIW,
Erick