Hi,
   I use solrJ for cross core search and it is work correctly and fast.
At First, you can make attention on schema definition, you should try to use
as much as possible fields with the same name. For example all my scheme
have a subset of common fields like title, summary, date, geo, image, ecc..
and when you make the query you can use the param

shards.tolerant=true

When you do a query on a field that is present in a single core, Solr will
return only documents of this core.

I hope I helped you
Bye

-----
Complicare è facile, semplificare é difficile.
Complicated is easy, simple is hard.
quote: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Munari