Here is our setup:

Solr 4.0
Master replicates to three slaves after optimize

We have a problem were every so often after replication the CPU load on the
Slave servers maxes out and request come to a crawl.

We do a dataimport every 10 minutes and depending on the number of updates
since the last optimize we run an update command with either
optimize=true&maxsegements=4 or just optimize=true (more than 1500 updates
since last full optimize).   We had this issue more often until we put the
optimize updates statements into our process.

Everything had been running great for a week or so until today after
replication everything maxed out on all three slaves, it isn't that things
get progressively worse, right after the replication the issue occurs.  The
only way to recover from it is to do an optimize=true update and once it
replicates out things return to normal where there isn't much load on the
slaves at all.

There isn't anyway to predict this issue and so far I haven't seen anything
in the logs that would offer any clues.  Any ideas?