One question is, why optimise? The newer TieredMergePolicy, as I
understand it, takes away much of the need for optimising an index.

As to maxing, after a replication, your caches need warming. Watch how
often you replicate, nd check on the admin UI how long it takes to warm
caches. You may be maxing out memory by having multiple warming
searchers.

Upayavira