Maybe it would be better if Solr checked the live nodes and not all the
existing nodes in zk. If a server dies and you need to start a new one, it
would go straight to the correct shard without one needing to specify it
manually. Of course, the problem could be if a server goes down for a
minute and then comes back up, maybe a new node was added to the shard in
the interim, but I still think it would be better this way.

Tomás