And basically that's what i had in mind with Prism here:
<https://github.com/lucidimagination/Prism>
Prism's very lightweight, uses Velocity (or not, any Ruby templating technology
available), and is entirely separate from Solr.  Before that there was Flare:
https://github.com/erikhatcher/solr-ruby-flare/tree/master/flare.    Prism is
the approach I'd (obviously) take these days, and it's getting some more
attention, it looks like, soon.

Blacklight and VuFind are much more richly capable.

So there's options already out there, and surely many others that I don't even
mention.  A new top-level wiki page seems warranted from this discussion from
<http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FrontPage> to list off all the various front-ends
available.

        Erik