On 20/12/12 11:58, Upayavira wrote:
I've never used it, but the replication handler has an option:

   http://master_host:port/solr/replication?command=backup

Which will take you a backup.
I've looked at that this morning as suggested by Markus Jelsma. Looks good, but I'll have to work out how to use the resultant backup directory. I've been dealing with another unrelated issue in the mean-time and I haven't had a chance to look for any docu so far.
Also something to note, if you don't want to use the above, and you are
running on Unix, you can create fast 'hard link' clones of lucene
indexes. Doing:

cp -lr data data.bak

will copy your index instantly. If you can avoid doing this when a
commit is happening, then you'll have a good index copy, that will take
no space on your disk and be made instantly. This is because it just
copies the directory structure, not the files themselves, and given
files in a lucene index never change (they are only ever deleted or
replaced), this works as a good copy technique for backing up.
That's the approach that Shawn Heisey proposed, and what I've been working towards, but it still leaves open the question of how to *pause* SolR or prevent commits during the backup (otherwise we have a potential race condition).

-Andy

--
Andy D'Arcy Jewell

SysMicro Limited