I'm a beginner-intermediate solr admin, I've set up the basics for our
application and it runs well.

Now it's time for me to dig in and start tuning and improving queries.

My next target is searches on simple terms such as "doll" which, in google,
would return documents about, well, "toy dolls", because that's the most
common usage of the simple term "doll". But in my index it predominantly
returns documents about CDs with the song "Doll Face", and "My baby doll" in
them.

I'm not directly asking how to solve this as much as I'm asking what
direction I should be looking in to learn what I need to know to tackle the
general issue myself.

Left on my own I would start looking at categorizing the CD's into a facet
called "music", reasonably doable in my dataset. Then I need to reduce the
boost-value of the entire facet/category of music unless certain pre-defined
query terms exist, such as [music, cd, song, listen, dvd, <analyze actual
user queries to come up with a more exhaustive list>, etc.].

I don't yet know how to do all of this, but after a couple more good books I
should be "dangerous".

So the question to this list:

-          Am I on the right track here?  If not, can you point me in a
direction to go?