By default, on cluster startup, we wait until we see all the replicas for a
shard come up. This is for safety. You may have introduced an old shard with
old data or a new shard with no data, and you don't want something like that
becoming the leader.

If you don't want to do this wait, it's configurable. In solr.xml change the
<cores attribute leaderVoteWait to n milliseconds or 0. It defaults to 180000
(3 minutes).

- Mark