for schema elements, for use in lazy re-loading on schema change, Erik Hatcher
argued against (solely) using XML for schema serialization
(<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-3251?focusedCommentId=13571631&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13571631>):

        IMO - The XMLness of the current Solr schema needs to be isolated
        to only one optional way of constructing an IndexSchema instance.
        We want less XML rather than more. (for example, it should be
        possible to have a relational database that contains a model of
        a schema and load it that way)

I was hoping to avoid dealing with round-tripping XML comments (of which there
are many in schema.xml).  My thought was that an XML->JSON conversion tool
would insert "description" properties on the enclosing/adjacent object when it
encounters comments.  But I suppose the same process could be applied to
schema.xml: XML comments could be converted to <description> elements, and then
when serializing changes, any user-inserted comments would be stripped.

The other concern is about schema "ownership": dealing with schemas that mix
hand-editing with Solr modification/serialization would likely be harder than
supporting just one of them.  But I suppose there is already a set of validity
checks, so maybe this wouldn't be so bad?

Steve