I'm spec'ing out some hardware for a first go at our production Solr
instance, but I haven't spent enough time loadtesting it yet.

What I want to ask if how IO intensive solr is vs. CPU intensive, typically.

Specifically I'm considering whether to dual-purpose the Solr servers to run
Solr and another CPU-only application we have. I know Solr uses a fair
amount of CPU, but if it also is very disk intensive it might be a net
benefit to have more instances running Solr and share the CPU resources with
the other app than to run Solr separate from the other CPU app that wouldn't
otherwise use the disk.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks,

David