On 3/21/2013 5:46 AM, Marcin Rzewucki wrote:
Hi,

Can somebody explain why there are additional requirements for a field to
be able to use DocValues ? For example: Trie*Fields have to be required or
have default value.

"Schema Parsing Failed: Field
tlong{class=org.apache.solr.schema.TrieLongField,analyzer=org.apache.solr.analysis.TokenizerChain,args={precisionStep=8,
sortMissingLast=true, positionIncrementGap=0}} has single-valued doc values
enabled, but has no default value and is not required"

I have a collection with more than 4K fields, mostly Trie*Fields, but they
can either be required or have default value, which is not possible in my
case. They are used for faceting and sorting. Docvalues would be great
improvement for them. But I can't use it just because of this limitation.
Why such limitations and are they going to be changed in next releases ?

I do not know the internals, but it would seem that the field must be present in every doc for docValues to work. If the field is not required and doesn't have a default value, then it might not be present in every doc.

This might be a requirement of the lower-level Lucene API, or it might be a requirement that was instituted at the Solr level because a problem was found when docs did not contain the field. Google seems reluctant to tell me, and I haven't figured out the right way to ask.

Thanks,
Shawn