I have three indexes which I have set up as three separate cores, using this
solr.xml config.

  <cores adminPath="/admin/cores" host="${host:}" hostPort="${jetty.port:}">
    <core name="jira-issue" instanceDir="jira-issue" >
       <property name="dataDir" value="jira-issue/data/" />
    </core>
    <core name="jira-comment" instanceDir="jira-comment" >
       <property name="dataDir" value="jira-comment/data/" />
    </core>
    <core name="jira-change-history" instanceDir="jira-change-history" >
       <property name="dataDir" value="jira-change-history/data/" />
    </core>
  </cores>

This works just fine a standalone solr.

I duplicated this setup on the same machine under a completely separate solr installation (solr-nodeb) and modified all the data directroies to point to the direstories in nodeb. This all worked fine.

I then connected the 2 instances together with zoo-keeper using settings "-Dbootstrap_conf=true -Dcollection.configName=jiraCluster -DzkRun -DnumShards=1" for the first intsance and "-DzkHost=localhost:9080" for the second. (I'm using tomcat and ports 8080 and 8081 for the 2 Solr instances)

Now the data directories of the second node point to the data directories in
the first node.

I have tried many settings in the solrconfig.xml for each core but am now using
absolute paths, e.g.
<dataDir>/home/xxxxxxxx/solr-4.2.0-nodeb/example/multicore/jira-comment/data</dataDir>

previously I used
${solr.jira-comment.data.dir:/home/tcampbell/solr-4.2.0-nodeb/example/multicore/jira-comment/data}
but that had the same result.

It seems zookeeper is forcing data directory config from the uploaded
configuration on all the nodes in the cluster?

How can I do testing on a single machine? Do I really need identical directory
layouts on all machines?