Otis brings up a good point. Possibly you could put logic in your function
query to account for this. But it may be that you can't achieve the mix
you're looking for without taking direct control.

That is the main reason that SOLR-4465 was put out there, for cases where
direct control is needed. I have to reiterate that SOLR-4465 is
experimental at this point and subject to change.