If centralization of storage is your goal by choosing NFS, iSCSI works reasonably well with SOLR indexes, although good local-storage will always be the overall winner.

I noticed a near 5% degredation in overall search performance (casual testing, nothing scientific) when moving a 40-50GB indexes to iSCSI (10GBe network) from a 4x7200rpm RAID 10 local SATA disk setup.

Tim