If you are accessing Solr from Java code, you will likely use the SolrJ
client to do so. If your users are hitting Solr directly, you should
think about whether this is wise - as well as providing them with direct
search access, you are also providing them with the ability to delete
your entire index with a single command.

SolrJ isn't really a load balancer as such. When SolrJ is used to make a
request against a collection, it will ask Zookeeper for the names of the
shards that make up that collection, and for the hosts/cores that make
up the set of replicas for those shards.

It will then choose one of those hosts/cores for each shard, and send a
request to them as a distributed search request.

This has the advantage over traditional load balancing that if you bring
up a new node, that node will register itself with ZooKeeper, and thus
your SolrJ client(s) will know about it, without any intervention.

Upayavira