: index?  I noticed I am unnecessarily storing some fields in my index and
: I'd like to stop storing them without having to 'reindex the world' and
: let the changes just naturally percolate into my index as updates come
: in the normal course of things.  Do you guys think I could get away with
: this?

Yes, you can easily get away with this type of change w/o re-indexing,
however you won't gain any immediate index size savings until each and
every existing doc has been reindexed and the old copies expunged from the
index via segment merges.

the one hicup thta can affect people when doing this is what happens if
you use something like "fl=*" (and likely "hl=*" as well) ... many places
in Solr will try to "avoid failure" if a stored field is found in the
index which isn't defined in the schema, and treat that stored value as a
string (legacy behavior designed to make it easier for people to point
Solr at old lucene indexes built w/o using Solr) ... so if these stored
values are not strings, you might get some weird data in your response for
these documents.

-Hoss