It's a pretty subjective and opinionated kinda thing here, as UIs are built
with all sorts of technologies and even though I'm quite opinionated about how
*I* would build something I work with a lot of folks that have their own
preferences or organizational standards/constraints on what they can use.
Pragmatically speaking, it's best to use what you or your team are familiar
with.

That being said... if this is strictly for a PoC and not something you need to
put into production as-is, you can leverage the /browse feature powered by
Solr's VelocityResponseWriter (wt=velocity) that is in  Solr's example
configuration.

I'm not aware of any Java-based framework out there for Solr - there's so many
choices (Struts?  Tapestry?  JSPs?  etc) that any single one of them would be
off-putting to others.

In Java, the SolrJ library is what you want to use for remote access to Solr.
You'll get back a Java response object that you can navigate to pull out the
facet information to hand to your view tier.

If you're ok with something not Java (but can be deployed in a Java container
and can interact with Java) then give projectblacklight.org a try - it's a Ruby
on Rails full featured front-end to Solr.  There's also solrstrap that looks
like a fun place to do some lightweight PoC development.

        Erik