Thanks for the responses.

Setting first/newSearcher had no noticeable effect.  I'm sorting on a
stored/indexed field named 'text' who's fieldType is solr.TextField.
 Overall, the values of the field are unique. The JVM is only using about
2G of the available 12G, so no OOM/GC issue (at least on the surface).  The
server is question is a slave with approximately 56 million documents.
 Additionally, sorting on a field of the same type but with significantly
less uniqueness results quick response times.

The following is a sample of *debugQuery=true* for a query which returns 1
document:

<lst name="process">
  <double name="time">61458.0</double>
  <lst name="query">
    <double name="time">61452.0</double>
  </lst>
  <lst name="facet">
    <double name="time">0.0</double>
  </lst>
  <lst name="mlt">
    <double name="time">0.0</double>
  </lst>
  <lst name="highlight">
    <double name="time">0.0</double>
  </lst>
  <lst name="stats">
    <double name="time">0.0</double>
  </lst>
  <lst name="debug">
    <double name="time">6.0</double>
  </lst>
</lst>

-- Update --

Out of desperation, I turned off replication by commenting out the *<list
name="slave">* element in the replication requestHandler block.  After
restarting tomcat I was surprised to find that the replication admin UI
still reported the core as replicating.  Search queries were still slow.  I
then disabled replication via the UI and the display updated to report the
core was no longer replicating.  Queries are now fast so it appears that
the sorting may be a red-herring.

It's may be of note to also mention that the slow queries don't appear to
be getting cached.

Thanks again for the feed back.