Erick,

I agree, it doesn't make sense.  I manually merged the solrconfig.xml from
the distribution example with my 3.6 solrconfig.xml, pulling out what I
didn't need.  There is the possibility I removed something I shouldn't have
though I don't know what it would be.  Minus removing the dynamic fields, a
custom tokenizer class, and changing all my fields to be stored, the
schema.xml file should be the same as well.  I'm not currently in the
position to do so, but I'll double check those two files.  Finally, the
data was re-indexed when I moved to 4.3.

My statement about field values wasn't stated very well.  What I meant is
that the 'text' field has more unique terms than some of my other fields.

As for this being an edge case, I'm not sure why it would manifest itself
in 4.3 but not in 3.6 (short of me having a screwy configuration setting).
 If I get a chance, I'll see if I can duplicate the behavior with a small
document count in a sandboxed environment.

Shane