This is a know bug, see:

Solr.xml persistence has several shortcomings. As
it happens I'm working on that right now, but the
results won't be ready until 4.4. I hope to get a patch
up over the weekend (SOLR-4910) and this is one
of the things I want to explicitly insure is working.
SOLR-4910 should fix SOLR-4862 as well.

In the mean time, one work-around would be to
copy the template to your core for the new
directory and create it there. Copies extra
data, but...

FWIW, this is all about to change, the combination
of "core discovery" and "named config sets" should
be just what you need, see SOLR-4478

Best
Erick