From: Shawn Heisey [mailto:s...@elyograg.org]
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2013 5:38 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: SPLITSHARD throws error

On 6/21/2013 3:06 PM, Joshi, Shital wrote:

> This is what we have in solr.xml.
>

> <solr persistent="true">
>    <cores adminPath="/admin/cores" defaultCoreName="collection1"
> host="${host:}" hostPort="${jetty.port:8983}"
> hostContext="${hostContext:solr}" zkClientTimeout="${zkClientTimeout:15000}">
>      <core name="collection1" instanceDir="collection1"
> dataDir="${solr.data.dir:}" shard="${shard:}" />
>    </cores>
> </solr>
>

> We use one solr.xml and pass dataDir, shard as java system property. (e.g.:
> -Dsolr.data.dir=$HOME/solr_data/solr6
> -Dsolr.ulog.dir=$HOME/solr_data/solr6_tranlog -DnumShards=5 -Dshard=shard1)

There's the problem.  You can't hard-code dataDir with SolrCloud unless
it's a relative path.  It's trying to share the same dataDir between the
two cores that it's creating from the old one.  dataDir defaults to
${instanceDir}/data.

The solr.xml file will get modified when you use the collections and
core admin APIs, and each server will get different modifications, so
sharing it between different Solr servers is not a good idea.

Thanks,
Shawn