Kevin,

I can imagine this working if you consider your second data center a pure slave
relationship to your SolrCloud cluster.  I haven't tried it, but I don't see
why the solrconfig.xml can't identify as a master allowing you to call any of
your cores in the cluster to replicate out.  That being said, this idea doesn't
facilitate a SolrCloud cluster in the second data center…just a slave that
could be a repeater.

You say that sending the data in both directions is not idea, but it works and
is conceptually very simple.  What is the reasoning behind wanting to get away
from that approach?

Jason