Update requests are routed only to leader nodes by CloudSolrServer so
there is a 1/numShards probability of avoiding an extra network hop.
It is *not* a 1/(number of nodes in cluster) probability as you may
think.

You may also be interested in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4816 . Perhaps you can try
the patch and report your results.