1> You have to re-index after changing your schema, did you?
2> The admin/analysis page is your friend. It'll show you exactly
     what transformations are applied both at query and index time.
3> WhitespaceTokenizerFactory is only _part_ of the solution, it
     just breaks up the incoming. WordDelimiterFilterFactory
     would then be applied to each token.
4> Yes, you must have the index and query time analysis chains
     be "compatible". For the time being, "identical" is probably  best
     as I'm guessing you're not entirely familiar with the process.

Best
Erick