Chris, the confusion from my perspective is the general inconsistency and
natural growth of the API which is somewhat expected based upon its history.

Obviously this isnt sql, there is no ansi body defining the query language.  I
understand well the difference between stored, indexed etc.

Going off of the apache wiki docs (which perhaps is not the correct place to go
for documentation buts its what google gives me :-})

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CommonQueryParameters

The fl parameter doesnt actually mention stored.  It actually gives reference
to a few "special" values, such as "id" and "score". Neither of them are
technically "stored" fields either, but afaik you dont need to use "field(id),
field(score)" for those.  Can you honestly say that is consistent?

So